Friday, April 1, 2011

A Worm named Thimble

Ryan got home early yesterday. It was beautiful and sunny.  I suggested that he take the kids outside so that I could fix dinner and enjoy a quiet house.


About three whole minutes passed and I heard, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, we found a worm, we found a WORM!!!!  I need a jar."

I sent Christopher Robin back outside equipped with a  "jar."  I then put dinner on hold and went outside with my camera.

They had found a hole in the lawn, which Ryan told Jace was a mole hole. It  was kind of big, it was probably a rabbit hole. (we decided later) We have tons of rabbits.  He told Jace that if they cleaned all the grass out of the hole, they might see a mole.




Luckily for Ryan, when they were dragging out the last bits of grass, they dug up an earthworm.  Which was just as great as a mole.

A few minutes later they found another one that broke in half when tugging it out of the dirt. Jace just thought it was a baby worm, so he gave that one to baby Gracie.  His was named "Thimble." (no clue where the name came from)

Another worm!
Gracie could have cared less.
Thanks Auntie Jen for the great boots!


Around 10:00 last night, Thimble was put back in the yard. It was either that or the fridge. He kept getting dehydrated and I was getting tired of adding water to the jar.  I wasn't going to have him die on my watch.

Jace doesn't know yet that Thimble was set free. I am hoping he forgets about it. We maybe should have opted for the fridge.
And that's the story of a worm (and a half) named Thimble.




1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Grammy and Poppy need to squash our Jace and Grace. Also their parents.
    This one brought me back to the worm that Ryan found in the backyard when he was about 3 yrs. old. Ask him if he remembers the name. He was very attached and mourned its loss. I love the name, "Thimble!" XOXOXOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete