Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Fine Day

Jace at my parent's home in St. George, Utah

My Mother and I spoke on the phone Wednesday night.  It was a wonderful visit.  We discussed my children and how she had seen my blog for the first time over General Conference weekend at my sister Randolyn's house. She expressed how much she enjoyed it; how she couldn't believe how big Gracie was getting and what fun Jace was.

We discussed her large yard and where she was with all its upkeep. She had started working outside that morning around 8:00AM and had just come in for the day at 9:15PM.  She said she was tired.  I wished to be with her, to spend time in the yard with her.  She said she had spent much of her day on her hands and knees digging out old rose bushes with a shovel and trowel.  I knew I could have done it for her in much less time.

She asked if we had been able to work out our plans to come visit in May.  I told her that I had been racking my brain for weeks searching for airline tickets.  I had tried every possible trip scenario I could think of.  I had searched the Des Moines, Moline, Omaha, and Cedar Rapids airports. Some were more than 4 hours from my house.  I told her airfare was $1764.90 and we didn't feel we could do it.

We discussed the reason for my call- that I was having some checks over-nighted to her house- would she please watch for them on her doorstep.  We talked about my Dad and how he was feeling with his 87th birthday approaching this month.

It was late. I was sitting in my bed talking to her with Ryan asleep next to me.  We ended with her  saying, "Well, I want you to know that I love you very much.  I also miss you very much.  We will take you whenever we can get you."

This morning I found myself longing for St.George, for the company of my Mother. I wanted to hear the bell on the backdoor rattle every time it was opened to let the dog out. I wanted to hear my Dad tell me over and over how glad he was to see me.  How fine a husband Ryan was, how smart he thinks Jace is, and how beautiful Grace is.

I wanted Jace to climb on their new cement turtle that sits on the patio, to play in the irrigation water on "watering day."  I wanted my children to be with them before their house turns quiet, and they are gone.  I looked again at Southwest flights out of Omaha.  They were still our best option but more than a four hour commute.

Then this afternoon, I thought to change  my search a little.  I asked myself what would be the ideal trip.  The answer was easy.  To leave from my small, local airport here in Cedar Rapids and fly into Salt Lake City.

Then a miracle happened. I couldn't believe it.  The flights on United Airlines had dropped overnight.  The ones I wanted that were $862.00 yesterday were $158.00 today.

I immediately started booking them.  This can't be right, I kept thinking. I was afraid the prices would change before I could enter all our information and click purchase.  But it happened. The itinerary is now hanging on my fridge.

I called my Mom an hour ago.  She thought I was calling about the checks.  Before I could tell her my news she put down the phone to go look on her front doorstep.  She came back.  I told her that was not why I was calling. "WE BOUGHT TICKETS,!! I told her, a miracle happened today."

As we hung up, she said to me what she always says to me, when I call her to tell her when we will be in St. George, "Com'mon to my house."
Jace enjoying the "water turn"



Mother, I am coming.                                                (Me, with my niece, sister and parents at their home, summer of 2002)

2 comments: