Friday, February 17, 2012

A series of unfortunate events


On Valentine's Day, awhile after we had gotten home from speech therapy, I set Robin and Rue loose to play while I tended to the needs of the baby. I was downstairs for about 20 minutes and could hear them playing Gracie's favorite game called "Ding-Dong, Daddy's home."  Jace says this phrase in a sing-songy voice then they run and hide in the couch pillows.  Oh, she loves it!!

This time they had gotten carried away, and when I came back upstairs I saw this mess!  I felt so many emotions flood through me when I saw what they had done.  While I knew they were having a blast, I also immediately felt dismayed, and overwhelmed, and angry.  I was just to the point in the day where I needed to put Gracie down for a nap and get started on the baking so that I could have the cookies made in time to deliver by 7:00PM.  Most of  Jace's friends are in school and in bed by 8:00PM. 

So Christopher Robin got an earful.  He had actually emptied the couch pillows last week which had resulted in me, Ryan, and himself spending an evening on our hands and knees cleaning up.  So I thought that he had learned that it was too much work to play "clouds" again anytime soon.  

So my little man spent the rest of the day cleaning while I was baking in the kitchen.

He was still at it after the sun was down and the windows went black.  My heart still feels heavy when I look at these pictures of him cleaning. I feel that I could have handled the situation better. I was probably too harsh, letting my anger take over.
  
He loves making sugar cookies so I saved him some dough so he could make his cookies after the mess was cleaned up.
 We then had a quick dinner and set out by 7:15 PM to deliver the cookies.


We delivered them to 6 different families, and

Jace had so much fun with his Dad.

He made sure to wear his hood so no one would recognize him!


He snuck slowly up to the doorstep and rang the bell then

away they flew, Ryan with Grace in his arms.

Do you like Gracie's bare feet?
Then unfortunately, right as we were about done for the evening, Christopher Robin slipped on some ice while running back to the car and took a nasty fall right on his tailbone.


He couldn't sit down without pain until the next day.

And that is how our Happy Valentine's Day went.

So here's to hoping that next year will be better.

3 comments:

  1. Waaaaa! Nothing worse than a tailbone crash on the ice! But it looks like lots of fun was had by all and the day definitely ended with a net plus. Gorgeous cookies! These clouds are such a hoot, Bronwynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Grammy, it is so fun to have you commenting on my blog again. Jace is doing better. I think is tailbone in mended. Doorbell ditching is so much fun. That is how we delivered all our Valentines when I was growing up. Did you do that too or was it a St George thing? And one of these times when you visit Iowa, I am going to declare it a cloud week and I am going to let jace go at it to his hearts content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...oh my kids would have been sold on ebay for that one! i think you are doing just fine!

    ReplyDelete