Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My blog is back!

This is what Saturday afternoon looked like at our house.  Ryan had just finished his weekend "man project" and jumped in the kids' pool to cool off.  Pictures of his project coming Friday, stayed tuned!

I learned this weekend that it is a very scary feeling to go to your blog's website, only to learn that it has been removed.  We can all thank the Dr. for that scare! He decided to do some computer house cleaning this weekend and deleted a google account he didn't use, which turned out to be MY blogger account!  But after some prayers and several hours working with the Google support team, we are back.  I guess it really might be time to get this blog printed into a book. 


Tonight is the eve of the 4th of July and Ryan does not have to work the holiday this year!  Our plans this evening include:  a special Family Home Evening about the history of our country (a day late), hanging our new flag outside our front door, going to the Coralville 4th of July carnival, then coming home and lighting our own fireworks--sparklers, then trying to get Rue to sleep before 11:00PM. 

Tomorrow we are going to the parade at 10:00 AM, then heading over to the Erickson's for their annual 4th of July party, then going to the city's firework display at dark.  I am so excited.

Did I ever tell you that I have a Mother with endless energy?  She had 10 children. I am the 10th of the 10, and by the time I came along, every holiday was already rich with family traditions.  I have found that one of my favorite things to do is to try to make each holiday memorable for my little Robin and Rue.

When my Father was 19 years old, he entered WWII as a Private in the army. He served in the Philippines. During his service there he was severely wounded when shrapnel sliced through his right shoulder and cut his main artery. He nearly lost his life on the battlefield that day, and almost lost his arm through amputation the next. But a wise and young doctor was able to save him and his arm.  I am grateful to my Father for his bravery and service and to all those who have fought and are fighting to maintain the freedom of this great land.

I also feel grateful for our founding fathers-that they had the courage and wisdom to write our constitution and establish our government. Despite the worry I feel about the future of our country, it has truly provided for me and my family a wonderful and blessed life.  I am grateful, I am blessed.

Happy Birthday to my beloved country.  Born July 4, 1776.

Man project sneak peak.  What could they possibly be up too?

2 comments:

  1. see! i TOLD you it would all be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, B-4. So grateful for the service of your dad in the Philippines; his courage, bravery, endurance, AND the gratitude he has shown his fellow soldiers by seeking them out and blessing their lives with amazing Calista leading that effort. Your sweet mom has given you an appreciation and gratitude for history and tradition which is being passed to the next generation because of you and your Rye Pie. You understand the profound value in the word, "REMEMBER."

    ReplyDelete