Thursday, July 19, 2012

Used and abused, truck ride and smooches


Right now it is 12:08AM and the Dr. is not home yet. He went to work yesterday at 6:00AM and took call through the night last night and is not home yet tonight. He should have been home several hours ago, around 6:00PM but because of the selfishness of an attending Dr. he is still standing in an OR room doing nothing.  When he called me tonight at 10:35PM when they finally gave him a break for dinner he told me he was doing nothing but standing there, as he could not even see the surgery that was going on. 

To keep a doctor (resident) working on a shift this long is against the law. Right now he is working his 42nd hour.  A 36 hour shift is what the law allows. All I can say when I heard about this abuse is that my anger raged. I hate when I feel so angry and helpless. But there is nothing that can be done.  If Ryan were to stand up to this Dr. then there would be hell to pay for the next 2 years and the price isn't worth it.

After I got off the phone with him I had a scripture pop into my head, "pray for those who despitefully use you."  So I said a little prayer and I can honestly say that my anger lessened. I realized that tonight is just one night. In the next 2 years this will happen again, several times- but I have so much to be grateful for.  We are all healthy and happy at our house.  A young mother in our ward whose husband is also a resident was just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.  She has 5 children.  My heart aches for her and her family and their long road ahead. Yes, residency is hard, but I do not have cancer. I am blessed.  

I am secretly planning out in my mind how I am going to toilet paper the heck out of this Dr's house.  Isn't that so childish?  But I really think that before I leave Iowa it might just have to happen.  I would even go so far as to plan it right before a huge nasty rain storm.  I wonder if I could get the Dr in on this.  But if not, who's in with me?  Mom?Dad? Anyone? 

I have only been toilet papering one other time in my life and all I can say is that it was a very wonderful evening!


On a different note, look at my 2 cuties.  Jace is pulling his "load"


and even giving out a few smooches while on the job.  He learned that from his Dad! Gracie thought it was just to funny to return the kiss.  But afterall they are married- remember?

This weekend, if the Dr can recover and find the time, we are going to go over to Solon, Iowa to attend the Beef Day' s Parade then finish digging out our 16 foot hole in the back yard.  Christopher Robin is soooooo excited because a dump truck is coming in the morning with 3.45 tons -yes tons-of manufactured sand to dump in our driveway.  Then all day Saturday me and the Dr. and Jace are going to haul it--wheelbarrow full after wheelbarrow full around to our backyard and fill our hole.  It is just so insane, but fun too!  Afterall, in the years ahead when we look back on residency, you can bet we are going to remember the summer we decided to dig a 16 foot hole in our backyard!

Well now it is 12:53 AM and guess who I heard just pull into my driveway?  Not the mailman!

5 comments:

  1. i have already told you that i am in for defacing of private property when it comes to this person, who shall remain nameless. this guy will never know what hit him. i'm a ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bronwynn, I am sorry. Those are some LONG hours -- for both and for Ryan. :( You seem to have a pretty good attitude though! You're awesome B! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops ... meant to say "for both you and for Ryan." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say that the greatest blessings come at the most difficult moments -- forging our character. Let's let Ryan go ahead and do the forging while you, Jen, and I have a great Ninja moment!! What do you say?????

    ReplyDelete