Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ruining our yard

On Saturday we spent the entire day out in the heat digging a 16 foot hole in our backyard. For the moment, it has ruined our yard, and as I am having a nervous breakdown about it, I keep telling myself what Ryan told me all day Saturday, "We are making lasting family memories."

We started early before the sun was hot. We carefully painted a white circle on our grass and then we began the arduous task of removing all the lawn.-  Shovel full, by tedious shovel full.

After an hour of digging Ryan had made one complete pass around the circle.  It left the dirt overturned for earthworm observance by Robin and Rue.


Considering the fact that our circle is around 204 square feet, we had to remove about 200 squarish pieces of sod that we cut out with shovels. Of those 200 pieces we removed, I can probably take credit for about 30!  -And I kept my white shorts pretty clean during the process.


By 1:00 the Dr had made pretty good progress.  Robin and Rue had escaped the heat of the day by retiring to the house and their little swimming pool. But the Dr. kept working!


Around 3:00 when he was about to remove the last piece of sod, we all stood to watch. Even Robin and Rue got out of their swimming pool to observe.  It really was a momentous MOMENT!  Rue kept one eye on her pool though.


After the lawn was all cut up and moved, the fun began -leveling the ground.  This really was Christopher Robin's favorite part of the whole project.

He was out there until the evening hauling dirt

and learning how to level the ground




and learning how to use a shovel.

It was so nice when 6:00PM rolled around and the circle was finally shaded by our house.


 
Well, we left our unfinished project looking like this on Saturday night.  But rest assured, I will let you know what we are planning to do with our 16 foot circle - just as soon as I figure out exactly what to do with it! But the Dr. has promised me it will be worth it.

Do you like how Christopher Robin left all his construction vehicles in a line and the dump truck beds up when he was finished working.  There is a reason why you are supposed to leave the truck beds up, but I can't remember what it is.

So I will go wish I had some Valium to take and try to calm down!!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was me...not mike, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Trampoline?? But then why would you be leveling the dirt? You'd be digging more...hmmm...Pool? In Iowa? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beats me...I am excited to find out though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B-4 -- This was another deja vu moment! Dad and his projects with the kids ... Ryan is keeping up the tradition. My guess? One of those tornado cellars? ;)

    ReplyDelete