Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A few things done and home-school

Jace on the phone with Ryan yesterday while he was donating plasma. He wanted to know all the gory details about how big, and sharp, and poky the needle was.  I had to leave the room, so I am not sure what he found out, but I am sure it wasn't a small needle.

Well, Ryan is slowly but surely making progress on his vacation "to-do" list.  Tuesday, he donated plasma before the crack of dawn, and studied for the OMSITE at the same time!

On Monday, while I taught a Suzuki Violin teacher training class for 3 hours, he had some success with the backyard weeds, and he did it with 4 children in tow. And they all lived to tell about it--impressive!

On Tuesday we met with Sharina to discuss home-school curriculum.  It was such an informative meeting.  We/I have been torn as to what to do with Jace next year: home school or kindergarten.  He is currently registered for kindergarten, as I had pretty much decided that  that would be the best for him next year.  But that all changed a few weeks ago when I had an "ah-ha" moment in my life.

It first started when I sat next to Sharina at a Relief Society meeting/social.  I brought up the subject of home school with her because I knew that she was currently home-schooling her 4 children, and I was wanting to have something to visit with her about during dinner. Through our conversation, I learned that she had been a public school teacher for over 5 years.  She gave me a brief  rundown of the curriculum she was using with her children at home, and what she felt was the problem, in her opinion, with the current public education system.  I left that evening feeling intrigued and excited about what she had told me.

Then the next morning, as I was reading Elder Anderson's talk from last General Conference,(of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints),  he quoted Rachel Jankovic. She said,"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling.  You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps.  It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in.  It is what what God gave you time for.

After I read this, I had a thought or impression come to my mind.  I realized that I could send Jace off to kindergarten and that would be fine, but if I wanted to, I could spend that time with him everyday, teaching him myself, and that that time together would be an opportunity for us to build an even closer bond and friendship. (and be an exercise for me in patience EVERYDAY!!)  But God has given me this time to take on home-school, if I so choose. 

So this is where I am personally with home school- I have put it on the table as a definite possibility for next year.  Ryan, on the other hand, has always had a plan.  He wants to build an office that has a school room upstairs, I would be the office manager, we would hire an Oral Surgeon, and he would do home school!


And I personally think this would be the perfect arrangement.


Christopher Robin has been blessed to have an amazing father and friend.

I love to see the affection Jace has in his eyes for his father.

And it is even more amazing to see how much piano he will practice in order to earn some time watching "Ice-Road Truckers."

7 comments:

  1. Good luck Bronwynn! If it feels right to you, go for it! You would be amazing.

    I, on the other hand, entertained the thought of home schooling for, oh, about two seconds. ;) I truly feel some people are cut out for the job and rise so well to the occasion. You are one of those! :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I am really amazed. Maybe you can home school and teach me everything you learn. Thank you for having children older than mine so I can learn from your experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will support you no matter what. you and ryan are great parents and your kids will be great either way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey would you hire me? You can teach my kids in exchange?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Erin, but maybe you'll want to see how our kids' education is coming along before you commit!:)

      Delete
  5. B4 - There is an amazing source out there that pretty much addresses this truth: Successful homeschooling and successful public schooling employ two totally different education models. They are different. Nor a question of which is better but a question of using the right model for the right system. I think that is why so many people view homeschooling negatively. If you try to do a schooling model with homeschooling it won't EVER be able to compete with public schools. EVER! The same holds true for public school. There is no way that they could employ the homeschooling model successfully. They would be sacrificing what they do best. A successful homeschool would be sacrificing what they do best were they to try the public school model. It is apples and oranges. Not only that, you are giving up the opportunity to employ the best that homeschool has to offer.
    When I started back in 1980, I was flying by the seat of my pants. The greatest mistakes I made came as a result of my misconception that I was competing with the public school system. Once I realized my error, life at homeschool became much sweeter. I was free to do the REAL model which applied to my homeschool.
    There is a book out there that Ryan Jenks borrowed from Katie and it led to their family's decision to pull their children out of public school. Not because they were dissatisfied with their experience. On the contrary. But when Ryan and Marissa read this book they began to get excited for the homeschool model. I have never read it, but Katie is always telling me, "Mom, I can't believe that you came to these same ideas that I have been reading about." I think it is called, "A Thomas Jefferson Education." It is not a nuts a bolts kind of book but clarifies the education model of homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom for this insight and info. I called Katie last week, before I met with Sharina, to discuss with her how she does home-school and she told me about this book. I will have to track down a copy. I think it would be well worth the read. When I came home from Relief Society and told Ryan I was probably going to home school Jace, he lit up like a Christmas tree. He gave me the same look that he gave me each time I told him I was pregnant! He was gleaming!!

      Delete