Monday, May 14, 2012

Rue is Two


My lil darlin'- with her chocolate eyes, and in this picture- chocolate covered face, turns two years old today at 11:38AM  EST.

I remember the day she was born almost like it was yesterday. 
After three hours and 38 minutes of intense and anesthetic free labor, the most gorgeous baby girl I have ever seen was put on my chest. 

She weighed 8lbs. and 5oz. and was 20.75 inches long.

I had my kind and nurturing husband at my side during her entire labor and delivery.

She came on a Friday, just like her brother, and was delivered by the same doctor, Dr. Shannon Weatherford.


This is us a few days before she was born at one of Ryan's award banquets. Grace was born on the last day of dental school.  It was not fun attending these events weighing 49 lbs heavier than normal!  But I was really proud of Ryan and all his accomplishments.


Here we are on Friday morning around 8:00AM just after we arrived at the hospital. I had been in labor since 6:30 AM.  We ran into my OB in the hall, and she was surprised to see me.  She had not received the page that I was in labor.  I knew she was off at noon that day, so I told her I would deliver Grace before noon, so she could go home on time. And she did!


In this picture I am still lying in bed, the really hard labor had not started yet. 


But that quickly changed so Ryan kept me entertained with his jokes during contractions.


But when transition started his jokes weren't helping anymore, so I went to the shower. Ryan was then hard at work helping me through each contraction for the next 60-70 LONG minutes.


This is my favorite picture of Grace's birth. It was taken by our doula Amber.  It beautifully captures Ryan's emotion just as Grace was born. It shows tears in his eyes, he is looking at me, with his hand on my forehead.


Here we are looking at her for the first time and just savoring the moment of bringing this precious life into the world.

I remember Ryan  lifting the blanket and showing my baby to me the first time I saw her. He pointed out her features and told me how beautiful she was.  He was so proud and so happy to tell me that she was so pink and had lots of dark hair.

This moment, and the moment right after Jace's birth, are the most glorious moments I have lived as a wife and mother.  It gives me so much joy and fulfillment to make and deliver these beautiful babies.


Here is my red, chubby little girl


with darling black hair.


Ryan was smitten the moment he laid eyes on her.








Here she is looking at me for the first time.


I knew Jace was excited about having a sister, and I could hardly wait to have them meet each other, so I was thrilled when he finally burst though my hospital door with his Grammy Jill. I loved having him climb all over me on the bed, although my tailbone was KILLING.


We were both so in love.




Here is our beloved Grammy Jill.  She was Christopher Robin's sidekick for almost 4 weeks after this picture.   We didn't get her home to Utah until the 11th of June!  And then we missed her terribly.


Here is my sweet Jenny Ramsey, whom I consider to me my little sister, and whom I affectionately call Frances after Frances Monson.  She brought me dinner that evening.  It was her signature white chicken chili and the BEST chocolate strawberry trifle I have EVER had!



This is our sweet neighbor Pat Gill, she came to visit and brought Jace a present she knew he would love-cars. She was a very close friend to Christopher Robin. He spent many memorable hours with her.


On this day, 2 years ago, I felt so blessed to be given a beautiful, healthy, daughter, and I felt so grateful that my body is like my mother's -it labors quickly. I felt so happy being surrounded by so many people that I love.

Happy Birthday to my sweet Grace, she has blessed our family immeasurably.

10 comments:

  1. The picture of Grace looking into your eyes is priceless. Amazing that that was captured! Beautiful pics!

    And ... Grant is 3 today! They share the same birthday, I do think I remember that. Great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that she and Grant shared the same birthday. I hope he had a wonderful day. He is 3 already. That means Arron will be 5. Wow, it flies by. I hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. I have so many comments about this post. To start, you look great before, during, and after your labor. Impressive. I'm jealous. I also can't believe all that hair! She's darling...and still is. Well done. And finally, it does make me excited about my upcoming delivery. Thanks for the boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for you .. a baby in August right? Thanks for all the compliments. I didn't look good during labor. I left those pictures out! I hope you are feeling well. So excited for you to hold your new little one.

      Delete
  3. confession: this post made me all weapy. forgive me while i indulge in a few nostalgic moments. i remember excitedly preparing and waiting until mike was home so i could rush up to the hospital. you looked ridiculously stunning (it's not fair) and that sweet little grace, all tucked in her blanket with her round cheeks and more hair than i had thought possible on a baby...it just tugs at my heart strings.
    okay, i'm off to pack. time for a trip to iowa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me all weepy. How can I have another baby without you living in the same town? It was so fun having you be all excited for me, as you know I am not one to gush much!!

      Delete
  4. AHHHH ... precious, beautiful Gracie and her amazing momma!! Love you guys so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Girl -- Hope you figured out how the chicken worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did figure it out and she loves it! It is so cute. It even goes in the tub with her.

      Delete
  6. So sweet to read those memories - happy birthday Gracie! Forgive you're flaky aunt for being such a bad calendar person :(. We're so glad you're part of the family little precious one!

    ReplyDelete