Monday, May 7, 2012

Our weekend


Friday, I awoke with a sudden start to silence.  Usually the familiar hum of the bathroom fan is running in the background.  I got up and discovered that the violent thunderstorm from the night before had left us without power.   I was thrilled as you can imagine. It was early so I talked myself into going back to bed, hoping that the power would be on soon.


When I woke up about an hour later, the bathroom fan was running!  But I soon learned that only the upstairs bathroom and Jace's bedroom had power. The rest of our house was dark and powerless. It was really odd. So I did what anyone else would do, I rounded up a flashlight and went to my garage to switch all my breakers.  Still nothing.  Next, I found my cell phone and called Century Link, they informed me that I needed to call my power company, not my phone company, if I didn't have power.  I felt a little stupid- oops, wrong people.  So after being on hold again for another 15 minutes, this time with my power company, I was finally able to report that I had partial power.  A little while later there was a truck outside my house with two men digging a hole. I was told some equipment needed repair.

So I let Jace eat breakfast in the window sill of my bedroom window while he watched the men at work. 




Saturday morning brought a scout fundraiser pancake breakfast that Jace and Ryan went to while I stayed home and taught a violin lesson.  Grace slept in.  Friday night, we had watched some of our friend's kids while they went to Nauvoo  to attend the temple, so she got to bed at midnight.


When she woke up at 11:30AM, she discovered a warm, beautiful, day. Ryan filled the pool for the kids.  I watched them play while I did laundry.


Swimming for Jace, meant his dump trucks swam too.

 I think they enjoyed the cool dip in the pool.


I know Rue did.


Jace taught Grace how to run and jump right in.

But she is shorter and had a little trouble clearing the pool edge.


Sunday was great.  Ryan is assigned to work every Sunday this month, but he got done with all his work and his chief told him to go home! So of course he did- and just in time for church. It was such a relief for me to have him home in time to help me get the kids ready and in the car.


That evening we went on a Sunday drive and discovered a place near the lake called Fossil Gorge.  It has tons of fossils and we hunted for them in the riverbed.  Jace was  enthralled.  I was dying because I didn't bring our camera, but Ryan said I should calm down because we don't need every minute of our lives documented!  I disagreed!! But the most exciting part was the discovery of tadpoles in the pockets of stagnant water along the riverbed.  And we now have a jar with 9 tadpoles in it on our kitchen counter.  We are hoping they will grow some legs this week before we take them back home on Saturday. 

And now it is Monday night, so good night!

2 comments:

  1. ummm...you forgot to mention your phone conversations with frances. i'm a little distraught that talking to me doesn't just stick out as the highlight of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jace Perch: Slightly curled toes attached to those amazingly lengthy feet, followed by limbs that go on forever ... in that humanly impossible squat. But the icing on the cake is the curly locks on the perfect head. AHHHHHHH ... Grammy heaven!!

    ReplyDelete