Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Day -Part 1

Here Christopher Robin is getting the last treat out of our advent calendar.

Christmas morning at 4:40 AM the Dr.'s alarm clock went off.  He doesn't really get holidays off during residency.  He worked last Christmas and worked again this one.  He left me at 5:20AM for morning rounds.  He told me he hoped to be done in time for 9:00AM church.  At 8:00AM I got up and got ready.  At 8:25 I got the kids up and ready.  We walked into our beautiful chapel just as the opening hymn was being sung.  The meeting was so wonderful.  The speakers gave such inspiring talks.  The kids were angels during the meeting.  Each time the foyer doors opened, I looked for Ryan. I was hoping he would make it to at least part of the meeting, even though I knew it would be a long shot.  We got back home around 10:15 and as I opened the garage I saw that it was empty.  I was hoping to see his car parked inside.  My heart sank a little. I didn't know how long I could hold Christopher Robin off from going downstairs to the family room to see what Santa brought.  But as I glanced up the street I saw his car coming towards our house! 


After we got inside, I made the kids wait while I changed my clothes. Then, in keeping with my family tradition, we waited at the top of the stairs while Ryan went down and turned on the Christmas tree and the mantle lights.  I wanted them glimmering on their gifts.

Then down the stairs Christpher Robin flew!  Gracie of couse had no idea what was going on, but what we were doing seemed exciting!

He turned the corner to see what Saint Nick had brought and his face says it all!



This is what he saw.


Santa had brought him his prized flat-bed truck with a goose-neck trailer hauling a backhoe!!


And this is what Gracie got.

Two adorable happy children!

Gracie loved her doll so much!  It made her Momma's day!  I had given this first Christmas doll for her a lot of thought, and the first thing she did when she saw all the toys was run right to it. That's my little darlin'!  Did you know that to size your daughter for the right baby doll, you measure the length of their arm from the elbow to the tip of their middle finger? So Gracie got a 12 inch doll and it's perfect! Thanks Bonnie for teaching me this - she runs a great toy shop in our town.

And my Santa brought me a point and shoot camera. Yaahoo! I am finally going to give my old $49.00 Walmart special a rest.


Gracie loved her little doggie. It walks and barks. It really is so cute.

It even got a ride in Christopher Robins fancy truck!

Gracie mothering her little baby- time to change it's diaper.


Here Jace is about to open his gift from Grammy and Poppy.


 It was this cool car that followed a road that you drew with a special marker.



And last but not least, here is the Dr. swingin' his tomahawk--need I say more about his favorite gift this year?!  I took this picture at 1:00AM on Christmas morning, just after we finished setting out the gifts.  He has to get up in 3 short hours to go round on patients! But with all the adrenaline running through his veins with a weapon like that in his hands-who can sleep?!

And that's the end of Part 1

1 comment:

  1. Grammy says that she wishes that residency was over so that daddy would never miss Christmas morning again! Grammy also said that daddy had to hold somebody's guts inside his stomach on an operating table with his hands at the hospital. GEEEEZ! I would rather open presents! I am so glad that I'm not a doctor! Can we play with your new flatbed truck with the gooseneck trailer when I see you? Tell Rue that she looks like a living doll and that she will be a good mommy to her new baby doll. I can tell.
    grammy said that poppy spent lots of time picking out just the perfect tomahawk for Christmas. grammy hopes that he doesn't throw it at her. Love, Freddy

    ReplyDelete