Monday, February 18, 2013

Love is in the air


Valentine's Day at our house was wonderful.  I hope yours was too.  On Wednesday I pulled out our boxes of Valentines and put Christopher Robin to work writing a Valentine to each of his grandparents and some of his cousins.  It kept him busy most of the morning. 


Wednesday night the Dr and I stayed up late together making the 5 dozen cookies you see here.  The Dr has hidden talents in the kitchen.  He is excellent at rolling out cookie dough.  I always get them to thick or thin and he makes them perfect everytime.  He says it's because in his line of work-- everything has to be cut just right.
 
 
Miss Gracie Rue has been excited for weeks, and I mean literally weeks, to make pink heart cookies.  I was worried that when she woke up on Valentines morning and saw them already made she would freak out.  But Christopher Robin handled that situation for me beautifully.  He told her the cookie fairy made them--and she was just fine with that. 
 
Of course her Daddy saved her a ball of dough to have all to herself.
 

And yummmm......her cookies turned out great!

CR thinking--"hum..it sure is nice to eat cookies for breakfast and lunch..but I still  wish mine were blue."
 
 
When I grew up, it was the tradition in Southern Utah to doorbell ditch Valentine cards to all my friends.  I also remember my Mom making dozens of heart shaped-frosted sugar cookies for us to ditch on our friends and neighbors doorsteps as well. Was this just a Utah thing?  Nobody outside of Utah seems to have done this as a kid.  It was a fun tradition, and now Robin and Rue love it too.  This year we made it to 9 families in our ward--our record to date. 
 

By our second delivery Gracie had crashed and burned in the mud, but she didn't seem to mind.  She LOVES to RUN..and this was the perfect venue for her. 


Here you see us getting caught at our last stop for the night-- Bishop Parkers house. You can't win 'em all!

 
It was a very fridged night!
 
But so fun.

Hope you all had a very Happy Valentine's Day.  Sending our love to you from Iowa.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man, I knew we were in the wrong ward! Just teasing, it looks like you guys had a blast, happy belated valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentines to you guys too! How are you feeling these days!!

      Delete
  2. won't you please be my neighbor?...hello neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was me...not mike, by the by. and gracie is your twin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Poppy and I received the wonderful valentines and the 50 cents which we put to good use. It was wonderful!! The Bat Cave became very merry when Poppy came up the stairs and we both opened our surprise together. Love, love, love to our precious Jace, Grace, Mommy and Daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got the Valentines. He really wanted to ditch cookies on your doorstep, we are planning to do that on Valentines Day 2015!!

      Delete
  5. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a bad surgeon...the fact I'm not good at sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummmm....you have ruined my theory because I know you are not too shabby a surgeon! Hope you guys had a Happy Valentines Day!!

      Delete