Monday, August 27, 2012

Volcanoes and the dark abyss

It is volcano making time!
 Despite the fact that I have entered the dark abyss of morning sickness, I am still trying to hold it together enough to do home-school with Jace.  In case you haven't heard our news, (most of you have who read this blog), we are expecting baby number 3 in April. It is the other birthday present I received from the Dr!
Jace adding sand to his salt dough

Jace has no clue why his Mom is slow going these days, and it hasn't stopped his enthusiasm about school.We learned about volcanoes last week and I promised him we would make one this week, and he didn't forget.

So this morning, we mixed together some salt dough and he excitedly went outside to his sand box and brought in a bowl of dirt to add to the dough and them we smashed and shaped it on the outside of a water bottle.


It was a delightful sticky mess!


 But it turned out pretty good!

He put all the extra sand around the volcano.

He added the baking soda and vinegar and

Wah-la a lovely lava flowing mess erupted with a big sha-bang!

Then they re-loaded it and 

made blue lava the second time.

And green the third time and then purple the fourth time. Luckily we ran out of colors.

But when Dad got home we did it all again for him.

And that was our morning.  Now will someone please put me in a coma until November.  Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. What a great start to the homeschooling adventure!!! So excited for your little April baby and I will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenzi. We are praying for you to join me -- misery loves company -- and we love cousins!!

      Delete
  2. Aaahhh!!! Congrats! On the baby and the homeschooling. I need to send you my Jayden for a couple months to take care of you. Good luck, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have Jayden!!

      Delete
    2. I think the "sick days" of caring for each other in homeschool became some of the sweetest times for the Swigert five. Those are precious times of staying together in good times and bad and the "curriculum" teaches more than you can imagine. Looks like they are learning just what they should be.

      Delete
  3. I am amazed you are doing all you are doing right now. I am right around the corner if you need a nap break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I'm so happy for you! Congrats!!! We're on this journey together ... fun times. :) Hope your morning sickness is bearable (and not too terrible) and that it passes quickly. Hang in there. It will be so worth it! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! I know how hard it can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard you are having a GIRL!!! That is so great. I know it will be worth it. It just a long haul in the beginning. Ice water is my friend. Thanks for that tip!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bronwynn! We're so excited to be having a girl. I think even the boys are over the fact that it's not a boy and are excited to welcome a little sister in the family :)

      Good luck these next few weeks! Not fun!! Love you!

      Delete
  5. WHAT?!?! YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!? You should have told me.

    sorry that you've entered the abyss but i would like to point out that you are right on target to be due when i said you would be. just sayin.

    you can totally do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not pregnant. It was just a joke. I jealous you are past this stage. Just 7.5 more long weeks. It's no biggie really.

      Delete
    2. I know and I wish I could zap you into the second trimester. Alas, I am powerless in that regard. But if I, the world's biggest weenie, can do it then so can you!
      It's gonna be great!

      Delete
  6. Thanks Kenzi. We are praying for you to join me in this lovely pregnant state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! Tell my Christopher Robin that I received his precious letter. Before receiving it, I sent a letter to him that he should be receiving right away.

    Love you, sweetie! You are hitting all the bases in every aspect of your life. Bless you, bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete