Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Just ramblings

Some sailboat sinking
Not much is going on around here tonight.  Ryan is on call and is in the ER right now until who knows how late.

The kids are finally asleep, so I got online.  I wasn't going to blog tonight but I changed my mind.

These past 2 weeks have been filled with me immersing myself in home school preparation and reading.  I have been recommended a pile of great books to read like "The Well Trained Mind," and "A Thomas Jefferson Education" and several others.  In fact I read aloud to Ryan on our way to Chicago.  Getting prepared to start home school in a few weeks is becoming such a wonderful journey of discovery.  I almost feel like I have found new religion!  I kind-of want to shout it from the rooftops about how wonderful home school can be and how there are so many amazing resources available.

I also have narrowed down Jace's curriculum choices for next year and  I am so excited about it. We are going to use Right Start Math, The Writing Road to Reading, and The Story of the World.  I also have some fun science and art stuff in the works too.  Any suggestions from you home schooler pros out there would be great as well!

Yesterday, when I read the mail, there was a letter from the public school letting me know where Jace's bus stop was and that pick up time was 7:48Am  and drop off time was 3:19 PM.  I happily threw it in the garbage and felt really happy that I would get all that time with my son.

On a different note, there is a cold front passing through Iowa this week.  Which is good and bad.  It is great because it has brought much needed rain, and bad because Robin and myself are missing our 4:00PM swim date with each other. 

Everyday after Gracie is asleep for her nap I take the cover off the pool, and Jace and I take a good long swim together.  We play games he has invented.  His two favorites are called Sharks and Crashes.  They involve a lot of wrestling and physical contact.  It is so funny in comparison to Gracie, because when she wakes up and joins us in the pool she wants to hold hands and sing Ring Around the Rosie's with all of us.  The difference between boys and girls is amazing!

And now the Dr is home so I am going to be done now with my evening ramblings and put myself right to sleep before he comes into the bedroom and discovers I am still awake, because if he does, he will get that look in his eye--if ya' know what I mean!


When we play sharks Jace is ALWAYS the shark and I am ALWAYS the human--incase you were wondering.

 


 Little Rue cleans out all the leaves that blow into the water!


Good night!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I have years yet to think about home school vs public, but I'm so glad I have awesome sisters in law to give great advice if I decide on the home school route. You'll have to tell me about everything your learning about and convince me it is the right way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i am super excited for you. and glad that you feel so happy with your choice. :)
    i will happily put my children on the bus at 7:30 every morning. hahaha. you're my hero.
    ps. what is that look in his eye exactly? is it the look that says, "roll over honey and make room for me. i'm tired."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you are excited about your choice! There is nothing like making a hard choice and then feeling great about it... Yay for you! Ha, you make me smile! Such a fun blog to read!

    ReplyDelete